Friday, July 27, 2007

Our tribute to Sr.Patricia



An epitome of dignity and grace befitting (yet so very rarely seen) the head of an institution like Mount Carmel Convent with its century old-heritage – that is how I remember Sr.Patricia. She dedicated her services to this small school in a beautiful seaside hamlet in southern Kerala, guarding and nurturing it as a pearl from the sea. She combined religious piety, administrative skills and visionary zeal in an uncommon but perfect blend.

I am groping for words which might do some justice to the qualities embodied by Sr.Patricia. Let me resort to Byron’s poem ‘She walks in beauty’ (didn’t we learn it in school!)
SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
………………………………….

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

I was too overawed by Sr.Patricia that I could never muster the courage to have a conversation with her. Though I remember that I was touched when she came and told me that my mom was waiting outside while I was trying hard to crack the maths problems for the ICSE exam! Just goes to show how she could empathize with the anxiety of our parents. It was also encouraging to see her come and check on us while we were taking our crucial class final exams. She used to be concerned too if we stayed back late after school. That’s where the motherliness in her came through although she looked firm and poised especially during the morning assembly. It was an honor to be applauded by her and also a challenge as she gave it only where it was due. Perhaps that made her word of praise a memorable one for the receiver.

I have never seen her in a rage although I have seen her angry. Her face flushed and her otherwise rosy cheeks would almost turn red. She was firm and straight in her talk and she knew how to handle the not –so – rule abiding teenagers in the school with a rare calm and understanding! We would know for certain of the impending trouble if she announced in her peculiar graceful tone (she had a lovely voice!) that a particular class should wait back after the morning assembly! I also remember that she would not use the mike to give her "sternest sermons" to avoid embarrassment to us!

She was strict and set forth the rules without fear or favor and the best thing was that she guided by her own example. She never seemed to falter and that was so admiring about her. I do have my perspective (perhaps a little critical and unconventional!) about the convent school regimen but I realize that perhaps that was the way she thought best to control the 5000 odd students of the school. No joke to run a school that was even a residential one with no scandals or scams to speak of! She is an icon of the old school authority with a rare benignity which is difficult to find in the post-modern age. Looking back, if we should fondly remember the school, it is also because it reflects a life of dedicated service that Sr.Patricia has left behind. She has become synonymous with the history of Mount Carmel. It will not be an exaggeration to say:

Think of Mount Carmel
Think of Sr.Patricia

I would like to recall the song that we sang for her feast when we were in Class X. Incidentally, it was composed and set to music by Mrs Cabbot.It remains our final tribute to her.I have forgotten the first few verses but I remember the chorus:
“ And though in future we’re far apart
We’ll hold this love we have for you
Deep in our hearts
We’ll remember you”

I sincerely wish she were around because I would have loved to have a chat and a cup of coffee with her. I would have been brave enough to discuss with her my views, disillusionments and apprehensions about the education scenario and would have longed to have her take on things.
Sr.Patricia I do believe that you continue to guide us as we go about our duties with the responsibility and dignity that you have set forth as an example.

PS. I would like to add that I know I have not been able to sum up the entire personality of Sr.Patricia in this post. I am sure some of you would have more personal memories to share. Please add you comments or posts on your personal tributes and memories of Sr.Patricia.if you have a better foto of Sr. Patricia do upload it or send it to us.Thanks! sabina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sr. Patricia is indeed an epitome of grace, dignity, charm, endurance, perseverance and last but not the least motherhood. I definitely wouldn’t be able to do justice in putting down her immeasurable qualities down in writing. I think it’s better that I don’t make a futile attempt at it. She was indeed the best administrator an institution could ever ask for.

Unknown said...

I have only fond memories of Sr.Patricia.The words of praise sparingly given when distributing report cards had to be well-earned.She was indeed synonym to grace,charm and dignity.